Jumat, 04 Maret 2011


Above is the speech that one of my students gave at a regional English speech competition. I am really proud of her and I think that the results speak for themselves. She absolutely blew away the competition and left everyone in awe.

"In Our Hands"

On behalf of MAN6 Jombang, I would first like to thank God. I would also like to thank the University leaders and the judges for donating their time to listen to our speeches.

ladies and gentlemen…
Imam Ali karromallahu wajhah once said:

[Arabic Proverb]

“A man is not one who says “here is my father!” a man is the one who says “here I am!”

I will start my speech by posing a question. “What will Indonesia’s legacy be 25 years from today?”. To find the answer to that question, we do not need to look further than this room. The future of Indonesia lies here and its legacy will be written by us. The actions that we take today, the decisions that we make now, will directly effect the Indonesia of tomorrow.

Indonesia is the 4th largest country in the world, a country with a growing economy consisting of over 200 million consumers, and a democracy that is continually expanding. It’s no longer a question of “if” Indonesia will become one of the most important countries in the world, but rather “when” Indonesia will become that country.

It is our generation, the current high school and university students, that will make that decision. If we push ourselves to be the best we can be now, Indonesia will reap those benefits in the near future. If we push ourselves to be the best students; to study everything from religion to mathematics to art, from English to history to music and to see the world beyond our villages, cities, and country we will provide the future Indonesia with citizens that are well rounded with the capacity to lead and to think critically.

If our generation strives for peace, we will see a more peaceful and more prosperous Indonesia. Our generation must continue the work to promote peace, while suppressing hate in order that our children will grow up in a country they can feel safe and be proud of. Instead of fighting with our hands, we will fight inequality with our words; rather than using them to strike, we will use them to build schools, plant seeds, support our friends, and to lift those who cannot lift themselves. We will use our hearts and our minds, instead of our guns and our missiles.

Eventually, Indonesia will be one of the most important and most powerful countries in the world. Though, if we sit back and pass our burdens onto the next generation, it may take 100 years, but If our generation commits itself now, then, in our lifetime, we will see Indonesia become that great country that we know it can be.

When I stare out into this crowd, I see much more than a room full of my peers; I don’t just see students, but I see the future of Indonesia. I see teachers, I see doctors, I see lawyers, I see scientists, I see politicians. I see everything great that Indonesia is now and everything that it can become in the future. I stand before you today, not only as a student from MAN6 Jombang, but as a citizen of Indonesia and an advocate for greatness. If we can all make the decision to be great now, the greatness of Indonesia will soon follow. That I am sure of.

[Arabic Proverb]

“The young men today are the leaders of the future”
Thank you.

4 komentar:

  1. truly amazing. I was mesmerized the whole speech! She has something special. well done! I hope i can meet you someday!

    BalasHapus
  2. awesome speech! with that vision and attitude, you will change lives.

    BalasHapus
  3. She has great articulation, vocalization, and pronunciation. Great job!

    BalasHapus